The prices for Graduation Announcements are astronomical so I decided to design one for myself. If you have access to Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements), I’ve laid out some great resources and tips for you to duplicate the announcements that I made. If you have any more questions, you can leave a comment below. If you’d rather take the slightly faster route, you are welcome to buy my template file from my new Etsy store.
You can download all of the fantastically free typefaces and .png files shown here:
1 | Free Chalkboard Textures
2 | Ric Rac Blog Bling
3 | Metropolis Typeface
4 | Pacifico Typeface
5 | Cool Stuff Graphics
Here are some tips to guide you while creating your own Graduation Announcements:
- Create a new canvas with the correct size specifications. You’ll want to make sure you’re making graduation announcements that can fit inside regularly sized envelopes.
- Choose your favorite photo, as this will be the focal point of your announcement. Make sure it is sufficiently high resolution.
- Skew it at about a +30˚ angle – from a liberal artsy perspective this gives the effect of moving in an upwards, positive direction (which will be indicative of your future, eh?!)
- If you choose to use the Ric Rac .png file and are using Photoshop, Ctrl+T allows you to quickly use the Free Transform feature.
- Layer Masks, Layer Masks, Layer Masks! You don’t want your photo showing through your circles or your ribbon, so make sure to use them! Here’s a pretty decent tutorial about using them. If you’re on the unexperienced side, you can just select your Photo layer and use the Eraser tool.
- When you go to get these announcements printed (at Kinko’s/FedEx), make sure to keep the file saved as a .png! Sometimes converting to a .pdf can make you loose valuable pixel data.
- Surprisingly, Pinterest is a wealth of free graphics, vectors, and fonts. Check out this board by Noor – she has a great collection of “Top Notch Freebies” for you to peruse.
If you want to save yourself some time, go ahead and dish out the 99¢ and buy my .psd file from my Etsy shop. I literally just made an Etsy shop last night so it looks a bit bare. But hey, maybe once I graduate I’ll get it populated! Of course, if you do buy my Graduation Announcement Template, your lovely payment will go directly into my Starbucks card so it’s money well spent.